Saturday, January 13, 2007

Therapy Lesson

One of the most powerful things I learned from my therapist is something I need to excercise right now. When I accomplish something I need to pat myself on the back, or reward myself, not start thinking about everything else that needs to get done.

Not only did I go through a six consecutive day workweek, the three days after I did my nails, went on a date, went to a psychiatrist appointment, broke up with my boyfriend, got an eye exam, hung out with my friend, and now I have pulled three large boxes of junk out of my room, rearranged my room, put up decorations, sorted through the boxes of stuff, put away the christmas decorations, wrapped 2 presents, did 3 loads of laundry, took out the garbage and recycling, did the dishes, and spackled and sanded in the kitchen.

So here goes..."Wow Diana, you should be proud of yourself...you have accomplished alot!"

Pre-therapy I wouldn't have given myself any praise. I would have told myself "it's about time" or I would beat myself up for not accomplishing more on the list of things that need to get done. It's no wonder I would get so paralyzed. There is always more to get done, so if I offered myself no praise when accomplishing things, only further criticism, I can see no reason why I would want to even make an effort.

So again..."Way to go...you not only got this all done, you got it done on days off when something very sad took place. You not only got it all done on days off when something sad took place, you did all of that after working six consecutive days. Diana, you are officially a ROCKSTAR!!!"

1 comment:

Rowan Dawn said...

i wanna be a rockstar! and btw, thanks for answering all my questions. I think you are right, it is probably a cultural thing!