Friday, May 04, 2007

Too good to be true?

On the personals site I have connected with a guy in LA who bakes and likes chubby women. He has a cute writing style, is very cute, and is creative. Yes, he lives in LA, but if he was Mr. Perfect...maybe I could move to a sunny climate.

So today I asked him what lineage of Buddhism he practiced (because I am trying to pick one) and he said it was the New Kadampa Tradition

I haven't read much about it, BUT, the NKT is criticising the Dalai Lama who I happen to think is pretty cool. I haven't looked into what the specific criticims were, but if you are a cult, and people are criticising you, it often helps your case to try to discredit them as leaders. (I think this organization says the Dalai Lama is not the actual reincarnation of whoever he is supposed to be the reincarnation of. That type of stuff is unimportant to me, I am still on the fence about reincarnation anyway)

Something like Buddhism could be easily exploited into a cult, becuase we are so unfamiliar with it that someone can tell us "Buddhism says this" and we wont know any better. I am so glad I am a "Bookstore Buddhist" because I have a little background on Buddhist teachings.

This guy seems sweet, I wont give up on him yet, maybe I can convince him to visit a center with a different lineage.

No comments: