Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Being morbidly obese

Right now I am watching the documentary Fat: what no-one is telling you

I sincerely hope a lot of people will watch this documentary. It is facinating scientifically, but it is also important in the way fat people are treated.

There is someone like me, I was pretty fat, but now I am "chubby." I am passibly attractive and accepted in society. But morbidly obese people are not. They are called cruel names, mocked, and ignored, and I can't believe how cruel people can be. I can look at my experience and say to a morbidly obese person "you should do this" but I have to remember that our bodies are different.

Many people seem to think that morbidly obese people are simply people who eat huge amounts of food and don't excercise. This is true much of the time, but what smaller bodied people don't seem to understand is how much harder it is for a morbidly obese person to follow a healthy lifestyle than someone else.

We all have to buck up and eat healthy foods and excercise, but we have to understand that the same diet and excercise will have different results on different bodies, and that some people have more challenges to making these choices.

Please be compassionate

No comments: