Friday, March 21, 2008

The Man who caused my insommnia the last 3 days (TV Junkie)

Mar 21, 2008


Current mood:sleepy

The day before yesterday I was watching TV late at night, and a show caught my attention, and kept me up until 3AM central time. The last 2 days I have been up until 3 because of it.

The show was of a man’s video diary. He worked as a reporter on inside edition, and during one of his investigations, he discovered crack-cocaine. It was a Sundance award winning documentary called "TV Junkie"

I watched, in graphic detail, his rise and fall. It was tragic, but I am so glad I saw it. It showed me how an addiction grips a person, and steals their personality and free will.

My life has been affected tremendously by addiction. I have witnessed it in more than one family member, and had a roommate once, a trust fund baby with everything going for him, who was a cocaine addict. I have learned from these experiences that an addict is not the person they were before. You know they are lying because their lips are moving. I have a very hard heart when it comes to addiction.

This movie gave me some compassion that I was missing. You should never trust an addict, but you should continue to love them, and maybe still have hope that they can get better. Addiction regularly ends in death, but there is one alternative, and thats sobriety.

I hope you have never known, loved, (or been!) someone chemically dependant. If you have this movie is amazing. If you havent, well, this movie is still amazing.

No comments: