Wednesday, July 09, 2008

My difficult life (An e-mail I just sent my friends)

Hey Emma and Jennifer,

I wrote down my itinerary, involving Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and it looks like this:

MY CITY-Amsterdam
Amsterdam-Delhi
Delhi-Mumbai
Mumbai-Nairobi
Niarobi-Entebbe
Entebbe-Masaka
Masaka-Lyantonde
Lyantonde-Entebbe
Entebbe-London
London-Detroit
Detroit-MY CITY

It took seeing it on paper to see what an insane idea of doing both India and Uganda in one month is. It seemed much less insane when I imagined India being where Saudi Arabia is, but even if it was there, this would be insane, especially for someone flying standby. So now I need to figure out where the hell I should go.

Pros India
I already have the visa
I have never been to Asia
I have always wanted to go to India

Pros Uganda
I have a once in a life time opportunity (well)
I could see Hufiz
I know a few people, so I could have places to go
I could go to Kenya and see Charles
I have a travel companion (my friend Maria's son)
I already have books/balls/etc for the Ugandan school & gifts for Hufiz
If I cant get on the flights I want, I wont be ruining someone else's trip.

Right now it's pretty much even. I am leaning Uganda because the opportunity to be a part of installing a well doesnt show up every day, especially for someone outside the Aid field. But, on the other hand, I have always wanted to go to India, and the idea of not going, after I have gotten my hopes so high (and the visa) would really bum me out.

I guess the deciding factor is if the well plans can be coordinated.

I am so sad, which is dumb. There are people with real problems in this world (hmmm, in India and Uganda to name a few) and I am feeling so sorry for myself that I cant do both. Dumb.

No comments: